New Delhi: Sridevi died at the age of 54 earlier this year, leaving the film fraternity and her fans shocked and heart-broken. The legendary actress' last film was MOM. After the 1990s she had been largely inactive in film industry, but she made an amazing comeback.
In 2012, she starred in English Vinglish where she played the role of a woman who is mocked by her children and husband for her English and finally learns the language.
As we remember Sridevi on her 55th Birth Anniversary, here are 10 little known facts about Bollywood's Chandni:
1. Steven Spielberg offered a role to Sridevi, Bollywood's first female superstar, in Hollywood film 'Jurassic Park'. However, she rejected it as she wanted to stick to Bollywood.
2. When she entered the Hindi film industry, she could not speak Hindi.
3. Many wealthy American and British-born Indians sent marriage proposals to Sridevi, when she was at the peak of her career.
4. Sridevi could speak several languages including Tamil, Telugu, Hindi and English.
5. While shooting the popular song 'Na Jaane Kaha Se Aayi Hai' from Chaalbaaz, Sridevi was down with high fever.
6. Sridevi was the sole bread earner of her family and she financially supported her mother, stepfather, sister and stepbrother.
7. Sridevi's daghters Janhvi and Khushi have been named after the heroines in Boney Kapoor produced films 'Judaai' (1997) and 'Hamara Dil Aapke Paas Hai' (2000), respectively.
8. Between 1985 to 1992, Sridevi was the highest paid Hindi actress.
9. She was known as Sridevi but her real name was Shree Amma Yanger Ayyapan.
10. First female actor to have gaine the superstar title, Sridevi worked in 300 films in 5 decades of her acting career.